------Daily English--------

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2005-12-16 12:45:36 | 显示全部楼层
<每日一词>
sully vt.玷污
Bush: Few bad troops shouldn't sully military reputation
布什:少数部队军纪败坏 不应损害美军声誉。

<每日一句>
We set out on our journey early in the morning.
我们的行程定在清晨出发。

set out 等于 set forth 和set off , 皆为“出发”或者“动身”的意思。

<每日一笑>
"Oh, my poor man," exclaimed the kind old lady, "It must be dreadful to be lame. But it would be much worse if you were blind."

"You're absolutely right," said the beggar, obviously an old hand at the game." When I was blind, people kept giving me foreign coins."

<每日一文>
Scooby-Doo Unleashed[「“史酷比2”来了]

When "Scooby-Doo," the live-action adaptation of the 1970s cartoon, was released in 2002, it became a huge blockbuster, so it's no surprise to see a sequel so soon. "Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed" reunites the human and computer-generated cast that made the first one such a hit.

In "Monsters Unleashed," things pick up pretty much where the first one left off. Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and the ravenous Great Dane Scooby-Doo have become celebrities in Coolsville, their native town. As the movie opens, the Coolsonian Museum is throwing them a party to celebrate the opening of an exhibit of the ghosts their outfit, Mystery Inc., has busted.

The party can't last, however, and before it's over Scooby and the gang are once again fighting the same ghosts they thought they'd vanquished forever. They try to find the evil genius responsible for resurrecting the ghosts, and along the way learn some valuable lessons about being themselves.

The human cast has done an uncanny job of inhabiting their cartoon characters, especially Matthew Lillard, who plays Shaggy. He is a gifted actor, and here he sounds exactly like the original character. The other actors are attractive and likable.

As for the rest of "Scooby-Doo 2," fans of the first film will get precisely what they're expecting: some computerized ghosts, a 1970s look, some quick references to the original cartoon and one or two clever jokes.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2005-12-16 12:48:42 | 显示全部楼层
<每日一词>
suffocate  v. 窒息
Girl suffocates in locked school bus.
女童闷死校车内。

<每日一句>
It was a mixed blessing when my old car got stolen, but I don't have enough money to buy a new one.
我的老爷车被偷走,但我又没钱买新车,真是好坏参半。

blessing 是祝福的意思。有“混杂的”祝福表示这样的祝福参杂着好事和坏事,并非完美的祝福,因此这句短语的意思就是“好坏参半,利弊皆有的事”。

<每日一笑>
The man in the prison asked a new comer why he was sent there. The new comer answered: "I am out of luck, I think. A few days ago I was walking in the street when I saw a piece of dirty rope. I thought nobody wanted it and so I picked it up and took it home."

"But it is not against the law to pick up a piece of rope and take home!"

"I told you I had bad luck, didn't I?" the man sighed, "The trouble is that I didn't notice there was an ox at the other end of that rope."

在监狱里,一个人问新来的犯人为什么被关进来。新来的犯人回答说:“我想我真是倒霉。几天前我在街上走的时候,看到一根脏绳子,以为没人要了,便捡起来带了回家。”

“但是,捡一根绳子带回家并不犯法啊!”

“我告诉过你我倒霉了吧?”那个人叹了口气,“麻烦的就是我没有注意到绳子的那一头还有一头公牛。”

<每日一文>
Sesame Street' Still A-OK After 35 Years

Now beginning its 35th season, "Sesame Street" remains as popular as ever.

Even if you haven't watched "Sesame Street" for 30 years 一 it premiered on Nov. 10, 1969 一 you will be struck by how things seem pretty much like you left them: the Muppets, the diverse community of humans, the letters and numbers that "sponsor" each hour.

Even parts of the neighborhood are the same, notably the set for the brownstone apartment building at 123 Sesame Street (as it exists on Stage G at the Kaufman Astoria Studios in Queens, New York City). Now nearly 35 years old, it should qualify for landmark status.

The era that gave rise to "Sesame Street" remains part of its culture. A telling trace lives on in the theme song: "Sunny day, ... everything's A-OK." Popularized by the pioneers of the U.S. space program, the term "A-OK" is as identified with the 1960s as granny glasses and tie-dyed jeans. Four months before "Sesame Street" premiered, that can-do spirit had helped put the first man on the moon.

The "Sesame Street" style paved the way for many kids-show innovations: the racially integrated cast, the inner-city setting, the fast-paced, bite-sized structure of each episode.

"Sesame Street" appeals to the whole family because of this charming style, and also because of its group of caring, flesh-and-blood adults who offer guidance and support to the childlike Muppets. It's a place with sunny days where everything is A-OK.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2005-12-21 17:06:28 | 显示全部楼层
<每日一词>
spar  vi. 争论;争辩
U.S. presidential campaign ads spar over education.
美国总统竞选广告就教育议题进行争辩。

<每日一句>
My grandfather never forgets anything; he has a mind like a steel trap.
我爷爷的心思如铁做的陷阱般细密,从不漏掉任何东西。

steel 作形容词用,是的“钢制的”意思。trap指“捕兽用的陷阱”或“捕兽夹” 。此短语是用“陷阱困住野兽的速度”来形容“心思敏锐;思考敏捷”;又以一个人心思细密如铁做的陷阱,来表示没有任何事情经过他的大脑后,能够被遗忘。

<每日一笑>
A parisian villain broke into a house at the village of lachelle in 1964.Once inside he began to feel decidedly peckish and so went in search of the icebox.There he found his favourite cheese which it would have been a shame not to try.

He then found some Bath Oliver biscuits and three bottles of champagne.

After a while he began to feel sleepy and decided that he would lie down and disgest his meal in comfort.He was arrested next morning fast asleep upstairs in the spare bedroom.

1964年,一个巴黎歹徒闯进拉塞利村的一户住家里,可一进去他便饥饿难忍,于是他先找冰箱,在那里他发现了他爱吃的奶酪。若不吃点,岂不太亏了。

他还发现了一些巴斯奥立瓦饼干和三瓶香槟酒。

不一会儿他有些犯困,便决定还是先躺下来消消食。第二天早晨当他还在楼上房里呼呼大睡时被逮捕了。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2005-12-21 17:11:24 | 显示全部楼层
<每日一词>
eulogize  vt. 颂扬
Pat Tillman eulogized as hero.
派特.提尔曼获表扬为战斗英雄。

<每日一句>
My mom told me she had to drive into town to run errands.
妈妈告诉我,她得开车去城里办事。

<每日一笑>
The weather had been very bad,and the blizzard disrupted the traffic all around,Buses were snowbound,and cars found diffculty in traveling,when a telefram arrived for the manager of the department store from his floor supervisor,Henderson.

"Will not be in office today.Haven't home yesterday yet--Henderson."

天气非常糟糕,暴风雪使交通都瘫痪了。公共汽车被大雪所困,小汽车也很难在路上行使。百货公司的经理接到一份楼层管理员亨得森拍来的电报:

“今天不能来上班,因为昨天还没有到家。亨得森。”
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|FMFans ( 京ICP备07501235号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 09:47 , Processed in 0.034703 second(s), 15 queries , Gzip On, APCu On.